No Back-Room Deals for the 1%
TPP: Out of the Shadows!
As the 14th major round Trans-Pacific Partnership negotiations gets under way in the northern Virginia suburbs of Washington, DC, please join with labor, environmental, public health, family farm, consumer, Occupy and other social justice organizations from September 6-15th for a major mobilization demanding an end to back-room dealmaking for the 1%.The TPP is poised to become the largest Free Trade Agreement in U.S. history. Approximately 600 corporate lobbyists have been granted access to the negotiating texts, while the general public is barred from even reviewing what U.S. negotiators are proposing in our names. If it continues on its current course, the TPP is likely to:
– Offshore good-paying jobs to low-wage nations and undercut working conditions globally
– Create new tools for attacking environmental and consumer safety policies
– Deregulate Wall Street banks, hedge funds and insurance companies
– Further concentrate global food supplies, displacing family farmers, expanding factory farms and subjecting consumers to wild price fluctuations
– Lengthen patents thereby blocking access to affordable, generic medications
Activities will include:
– a free direct action training in Baltimore in preparation for the week of action on Saturday, September 8th and Sunday, September 9th
– a rally at the site of the negotiations on Sunday, September 9th
– creative actions through the negotiations!
RSVP online now for info on carpools, buses, housing, and volunteer opportunities.
About the Direct Action Training:
Action Camp to Stop the Global Corporate Coup!
September 8th and 9th
Real News Network Building, 235 Holiday Street , Baltimore, MD
Itsoureconomy.us will be holding a direct action training organized by the Backbone Campaign. The training will focus on spectacle actions as well as ways to engage the negotiators. To get an idea about what will be covered, visit http://backbonecampaign.org. The training will be held at the . The training will be led by two top national trainers, Bill Moyer of the Backbone Campaign and Kim Marks of Earth First! and Rising Tide North America. Space is limited and running out. If you want to attend RSVP to email@example.com. Please fill out the form at http://tradejustice.net/tppform to find out about carpool opportunities.
On Sunday, September 9th, training participants will travel together to Leesburg, VA, site of the TPP negotiations for the rally. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for details. Click here to download a copy of the training flier.
Rally for Good Jobs, Affordable Medicine & a Healthy Environment
Sunday, September 9 • 3:00pm
Lansdowne Resort • 44050 Woodridge Pkwy • Leesburg, Virginia (near Washington, DC)
Rally cosponsors include the American Jobs Alliance, American Medical Student Association, Bergen County Green Party, Brooklyn For Peace, Citizens Trade Campaign, Communication Workers of America, Fair World Project, Family Farm Defenders, Friends of Animals United NY/NJ, Friends of the Earth, Global Justice for Animals and the Environment, Healthcare for the 99%, Health Global Access Project, International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers, International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, International Brotherhood of Teamsters, Itsoureconomy.us, Manhattan Greens, Mingas Network, National Family Farm Coalition, New York Committee in Solidarity with the People of El Salvador, Nodutdol for Korean Community Development, Occupy Astoria Long Island City, Occupy Wall Street Environmental Solidarity Working Group, Occupy Wall Street Trade Justice Working Group, October2011.org, Organic Consumers Association, Penley Global Law, Pennsylvania Fair Trade Coalition, Peruvians in Action NY, Public Citizen, Queerocracy, Rainforest Action Network, Rainforest Relief, The New York Whale and Dolphin Action League, The Sierra Club, TradeJustice New York Metro, United Students Against Sweatshops, West Queens Greens, and Wetlands Activism Collective. Occupy Queens is in solidarity with the rally.
How to get there:
Limited carpool space is available for people leaving on the 8th.
Otherwise, get on the bus! People will be traveling to DC together on commercial bus lines (Greyhound, Megabus, etc. -tickets to DC now only $17 online!) From there, we’ll have chartered buses to Leesburg. RSVP now to reserve your seat on free union-operated buses leaving Washington, DC and to find out details on how to leave NYC with others going to the rally, training, and other events.
Click here to download a PDF of the rally flyer
Wait, there’s more!
Actions will be taking place almost every day between Sept 6 and 15 and we can use your help! Let us know what dates you are available and we’ll work to arrange housing.
***How Can I Help in Advance? (sign up to help in any of these ways here)
1) Make signs, banners, and other visuals in advance of the rally that people can bring down.
2) Volunteer to make calls to invite New York activists to come down for this mobilization. We can provide lists of names and numbers.
3) Pass our fliers at rallies, marches, and other events to publicize the rally, training, and other actions. We can suggest places to flier.
*** Can i make a donation to support this effort?
Donate to cover materials and other action-related costs at http://tradejustice.net/tppfund.
***I can’t make it to VA – are there other ways I can help? (sign up to help here)
1) Make calls to reporters to invite them to the actions in Leesburg to and confirm that they received press releases. Anyone can help with this regardless of experience if they have a phone and a computer (to mail press contact lists to and email press releases from. People with additional media experience may also be able to help in developing press contact lists and updating news releases with new action details.
2) Offer to house sit or pet sit for someone planning to spend several days in Leesburg.
***What about online petitions and letters?
1) Spread the Word About the Trans-Pacific Partnership Send a letter to the editor to major news outlets and demand that they cover the deal that is swiftly becoming “NAFTA-on-steroids” with the world.
2) Demand a New Trade Model Ask your senators to help steer our trade policy back on course by cosponsoring the 21st Century Trade Agreements Act today.
3) Derail the Trans-Pacific Partnership TPP negotiations continue in Leesburg, Virginia, with the public locked out and the texts held in tight secrecy. Urge U.S. Trade representative Ron Kirk to release the draft texts.
4) Take Fracking Out of our Trade Agreements Tell US Trade Representative Ron Kirk that no trade agreement should pave the way for increased fracking.
Questions: Call (718) 218-4523 or email email@example.com
And don’t forget – fill out the form to RSVP online now for info on carpools, buses, housing, and volunteer opportunities.
Learn more about TPP at these sites:
http://tradejustice.net/tpp * http://stoptpp.org * http://tpp2012.com/ * http://citizenstrade.org * http://tradewatch.org