The Trans-Pacific Partnership’s Attack on Democracy
Our Jobs, Health, & Environment at Risk
Panel & Organizing Meeting
TUESDAY, MAY 28th, 6:30 PM to 9 PM
ALL SOULS UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST CHURCH
1157 Lexington Ave. between 79th and 80th Streets, NYC.
RSVP at http://tradejustice.net/528!
Directions: 6 train to 77th Street. Walk two blocks north. Enter through garden
- Alisa Simmons, National Field Director, Public Citizen’s Global Trade Watch
- Kenneth Peres, Chief Economist, Communications Workers of America
- Ilana Solomon, Trade Representative, The Sierra Club
- Manuel Perez-Rocha, Associate Fellow at Institute for Policy Studies
After the speakers conclude, we’ll break into groups by Congressional district and plan to organize against TPP in our communities!
What is TPP?
The TPP, a trade agreement the U.S. is negotiating with 11 other nations, will outsource more jobs, prohibit banking regulation, and expand corporate intellectual property rights that curtail Internet freedom and limit access to lifesaving generic drugs. It will also grant foreign corporations the power to sue our government when our laws block their environmentally destructive projects and toxic products.
The TPP is shrouded in secrecy. The Administration intends to complete negotiations by October 2013 with almost no media attention or input from the public and Congress. President Obama has said he’ll ask Congress to grant him Fast Track Authority, which will force Congress to vote on the TPP without the power to change a single word of it.
- All Souls Unitarian Universalist Church
- Brooklyn for Peace
- Citizens Trade Campaign
- Coalition Against the Rockaway Pipeline
- Colombia Studies Group
- Communications Workers of America
- Food and Water Watch, Global Justice for Animals and the Environment
- Green Sanctuary Committee (Community Church of New York)
- Harlem Fightback Against Wars at Home and Abroad
- Institute for Policy Studies
- New York Climate Action Group
- New York Environmental Law and Justice Project
- New York Whale and Dolphin Action League
- NYC Friends of Clearwater, NYH2O/Damascus Citizens
- Occupy the Pipeline
- Occupy Wall Street Trade Justice Working Group
- OWS Environmental Sustainability Working Group
- OWS Special Projects Affinity Group
- Sane Energy Projet
- The Sierra Club, TradeJustice New York Metr
- United for Action
- WBAI’s Eco-logic
Facebook Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/461695160578829/